Relay for Life is always a great opportunity as we honor those who have lost their struggle against cancer and those who continue to fight. Each year, the relay provides me with motivation to try and push my limits as my ability to deal with the fatigue and pain of running my laps equals at least a portion of the fatigue and pain that cancer patients must endure on a daily basis.
This year, I ran 40 laps ~ 10 miles.
This event allows me to honor the memory of my late MUN advisor Richard Neville as well. Without Mr. Neville, I do not know if I would have done MUN in college and thus, if I would have been a teacher at this point. Each time I go to a conference, teach the MUN class, or do anything related to MUN, I think of him and try to ask myself, what would Richard Neville do. Of course, as a freshman, I was fearful of him, however, when I got to know him, I began to realize, just how much he cared even if he didn't show it. Later on in his career as he neared the end of his life, he began to show how much he cared much more and it was such an inspiration to see him fighting and with us until his last days. I do regret that I did not see him before his passing, however, I do hold the picture I have with him close to my heart as it reminds me of what I hope to accomplish as a teacher. I also think that is why I continue to strive to push students to do their best in MUN, because I want to make sure that the program continues to model the type of program Mr. Neville would have liked.
I still remember when he came into our class and said, "I went to the City of Hope and they told me that I had no hope." It was one of the saddest moments I could remember in my high school career, yet, I think at that moment, my path to where I currently am at was created.

hi there. i was a student of richard neville as well. he taught me ap biology in my junior year at chs (class 91). i dropped out of mun during the first week (i thought it was all lawyers wannabe... i didn't want to be a lawyer). anyways, i am very interested to find out how he died. my h.s. friend were trying to find out any info about his death. thank you. gchang7 (at gmail).
ReplyDelete