Saturday, January 23, 2010

The Business of Businesses and the Suits They Wear

I came across an article today that made me think that businesses and the idea of legal suits have simply come too far. It's no wonder that our society is in trouble. With all the threats of legal suits and all the protections to businesses who in some cases have shown that their top dogs are in the business to pad their pockets rather than to pad the pockets of their employees or to help the general population disgust me.

In this article, a girl essential try to trademark her charity McFest, a charity raising money for the special olympics after a few years of successful fundraising (approximately 30,000). In any case, to make a long story short (since you can read the article at AOL), McDonalds objected because it had "Mc" in it. If she was a business trying to make money in the fast food business, I might have concerns, however, the reality is, she seemed to have no intention of moving into McDonalds territory. To me, it's just ridiculous and is now a reason that for the time being, I'm boycotting McDonalds. Why support the money-hungry franchise when I could be supporting a mom-and-pop shop down the street who has better food anyways.

The government really needs to find to regulate how much control businesses have and to try and have them put restrictions on law suits, that financially ruin people, businesses (including the ones trying to protect themselves) and even the government. There's got to be a better way. An example you ask?

#1 - An insurance company sued when a meal carrier slipped on a patch of ice on an 81-year old's driveway.

#2 - A musician was sued for including a track of music on his CD with no words or lyrics since it was similar to another work by another artist.

#3 - A woman sued when two girls baked cookies and as a nice gesture delivered them to neighbors. The woman won.

The three examples are extreme, but I wouldn't say they are uncommon. Maybe I'm seeing things from a skewed perspective and you may see things differently, that's fine! You have a right to your opinion. I'm just stating my disgust for the situations that were addressed in this article.

In any case, just watch what you do or you might end up in a similar state!

No comments:

Post a Comment