Saturday, April 15, 2023

~:[CH12 - Day 105]:~ Representation

 
~:[CH12 - Day 105]:~ Representation

I did a lot of preparation for the quick turnaround coming up. When first scheduling this along time ago, I didn't realize how chaotic it would end up being, however, I accomplished a lot last night and today was mostly wrapping up what I needed to. I headed out and grabbed a nice meal before meeting the Shibutanis at their event at the Grove. It's been amazing to see them do so much for the AAPI community. Their first two books really helped young readers find characters they can relate to. This new release can be read by and even larger audience as they highlight individuals who have been amazing for the AAPI community. The question I have for all of you is, do you feel more able when you see people who have broken boundaries and who can relate to your upbringing? I think while role models don't have to be just like you, that representation brings even more inspiration and motivations to others to follow in their footsteps. For the Shibutanis, they did their own trailblazing as Asian-Americans in the Olympics and it's great that they started with inspiring young athletes and broadened their influence to inspiring young minds. I've been lucky to know so many who are apart of these groundbreaking pushes, many who I have worked with. To see them succeed and highlighted makes me appreciative of the walls they are bringing down so that others have less barriers to overcome on their way to success. It's not easy being the first, but those who take on these challenges of being trailblazers find that the rewards are much greater than they could ever imagine as they see many who aspire to be just like them. Representation truly matters and that's why books such as Amazing by the Shibutanis mean so much more than simply highlighting important people in history, as their efforts will inspire so many and will allow them to believe that all that they dream of will be possible. For those paving the way for those behind them, know that all of your efforts will be well worth it. At times you'll be tired and discouraged, but know that every ounce you devote will be worth it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment