Wednesday, September 11, 2024

~:[CH13 - Day 254]:~ What is Victory?

 
~:[CH13 - Day 254]:~ What is Victory?

I was exhausted. Marking the course at Mile Square was quite the challenge. We roamed the entire three mile loop, marked an area that we weren't supposed to, and I fixed the course, doing another loop around. However, all I couldn't focus on was how the races would turn out for the team. The work was worth it, because I know the athletes would not want to worry about which way they were going. Although there were a few points that were a bit confusing, for the most part, it seemed as if people knew where to go. Our girls JV team lost their two top athletes since we had to shift a few to varsity. They were resilient and pulled out a narrow 44-46 victory. Our boys JV was down a few athletes and managed to run to a 28-34 victory. With our 2-3 out, our girls still were able to secure a 31-62 victory behind a monstrous effort by our top athletes. The boys varsity race was the most exciting on the day with a seesaw battle coming down the stretch. We ended up losing in the kick and ultimately the race, however, I would consider today a victory. What is a victory? After last season, we weren't favorites to win this season. On top of it, our top athlete transferred, still yet, we found ourselves in the mix. This group has worked extremely hard to improve and get better and slowly, I think they are realizing their potential. Is that not victory? In just a week, they closed up their deficit in half, is that not victory? I'm proud to say that despite not securing the sweep, even in this final race, we were victorious. A second place listing cannot determine victory or not. In life, you may not always finish first, but that doesn't mean you didn't succeed. The person who said second place is the first loser is wrong because no place can determine if you were victorious or not. I know that the boys were disappointed in missing out on the win, however, there's no doubt that today I was so proud of them for their victory. They battled, they discovered, and they never gave up. We'll hope for better results in this race when our next league meet arrives, however, for today, I can confidently say that all of our teams were victorious because of their heart and soul that they poured on there, challenging the best they could and never backing down. 

No comments:

Post a Comment