Sunday, April 28, 2019

~:[CH8 - Day 118]:~ A Piece Left Behind

~:[CH8 - Day 118]:~ A Piece Left Behind
It's always a bit of nostalgia when I go back to my old stomping grounds. I loved going to UCI, as it was one of the best choices of my life. As I walk the campus, through halls that existed even before the renovation, I am brought back to the memories of running the same conference, of all the ups and downs, the stressful nights, hours in the labs, and great memories at the bookstore. This conference also ends up being the last for the seniors, as they also finish their tenure here and leave a piece of themselves, as they take their steps towards graduation. Life is all about this cycle. It's about seeing where you were four years ago and where you are today. There will be good and bad along the way, but the reality is, it's not always about where you end up, but how you got there. The irreplaceable memories of Nationals or Davis or Berkeley among the many local conferences that were attended, will be far more valuable than the awards received. The experiences you had and the skills you gained will be more important than the grades you received and surpass many of the accomplishments you may achieve. Sure, we shoot for our goals and aim to climb higher on the ladder of life, but surpassing all the memories we gain along the way would be a mistake, as in them lie the person we are and will become. With each passing moment, we are molded and shaped by the experiences we have and the people around us. At the same time, while we are molded by our experiences, we also leave a piece of ourselves behind whether it be a school, a workplace, or a home. We impact the lives of those around us and forever leave our imprint on the past. As I look back, sure, there are things that I regret, but I am also proud to think that I gave so much of myself and experienced so much while I was in school. As while I could have put my head in a book and just focused on studying and getting good grades, I chose to experience all I could while in school and there's not one ounce of me that regrets doing so. As I look back through these halls, I see all the pieces I left behind within my memories and it is those memories that I can find myself when I feel lost. As while I may flourish and grow as grand as the sequoias, without my roots, the grandness of my future would be hopeless. It is in what we plant early on that we find our ability to rise to great heights over the horizon. We wrapped up our day and snapped some pictures, as I though that every one of these students left a piece of themselves behind today and one day they'll realize the importance of it all. The award will be fresh in their minds tonight, but in that distant tomorrow, it will be the experiences and memories that will leave the most lasting impression.

No comments:

Post a Comment