~:[CH8 - Day 312]:~ Self Awakening
I'm watching a K-drama (no surprise) that is based in a comic book. The characters eventually become self aware of their situation and see what they can do to change that. Similarly, the 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee was a musical our school put on that partly had a commentary on something similar. With each of the characters facing their own issues, the spelling bee became less about the words they were spelling and more about the pieces of their own lives that impact them. From having two fathers to the pressures of being perfect to the simple attempts at getting recognized, these individuals known by their resumes and labels, seem to have their own self awakening, breaking free from the shackles that bound them. I think it's a daily occurrence as I see students face such anxiety and stress over being perfect or going to an amazing school and more, which leads them to missing out on the experiences that were meant for them. Through all the activities I work with, as while I push athletes to try to reach their potential, I also don't forget that it is also an opportunity for them to enjoy something outside the confines of these expectations. In the process, these students have a self awakening and not only find something they enjoy doing, but learn a lot about themselves in the process. It's not something confined to students, as adults are faced with the same expectations and pressures. My hope is that we all can break free from these story lines that we think we must follow, so that we can all forge our own paths that may seem so non-traditional. It's risky and we may not always succeed, but wouldn't that allow us to be ourselves and to break free from these social expectations that have weight down so heavy on us all. Just like in the K-drama, the pages of the rest of the comic have yet to be written, so let's be sure to write a script that fits us and not the mold that society tells us to follow. Just then maybe, we can wake up and discover ourselves, rather than the person that everyone else wants us to be.

No comments:
Post a Comment