
~:[CH12 - Day 80]:~ Walk with Walker
Most people who know me, know that the introverted me hates the spotlight. At Nationals, I had to go to the front of the opening ceremony to receive an award and it was one of the most uncomfortable experiences. Tonight, I debated back and forth whether or not I was going to speak. I figured that most of those attending would say what I wanted to say, but just before the session started, I wrote my card and submitted it. While I prefer not to speak, I definitely try to avoid speaking when I am frustrated. However, as I deliberated on this moment, I thought about how much of himself Mr. Walker has given to the school and this was the least I could do. Every time I see Mr. Walker, I think about the moment I met him in the interview for this job and these was no doubt in my mind that he is what the school needed. While I met him before, the interview truly highlighted all that he could bring to the school and his words in that interview have been on display for the past nine years. I am always complimented for how much I do for the school, but when I compare it to Mr. Walker, my contributions pale in comparison. He is everywhere doing everything he can and he is 100% invested in these students, the staff, and this school. It was confirmed tonight with a line of speakers waiting to back him up, fighting for him and the other members of our admin potentially on the move. Every time this team dealt with the curveballs the district threw at them, they responded, not bowing down to what the district wanted, but fighting in the best interests of the student as the district continuously failed to see the complexities of a school like Cerritos. They failed to understand that a one-sized fit all approach is not the answer for every school as just like people, every school has it's own qualities and dynamics you cannot see from the outside. In many cases, they lost, but behind the scenes, they've worked their tails off. To hear so many great messages, especially from my students made me so proud, as they let their voices be heard. My emotions got the best of me and since I didn't have a speech written out, I missed the ending of my speech, however, as I think about the line I wanted to finish with, I felt that I should definitely share while reflecting tonight. The line that was never heard stated, "Walker is the symbol of our alma mater. In one of the lines, it says, 'our guardian, shield, and guide.' Walker has been just that. He has been the guardian of the mental health and welfare of the Cerritos HS students, he is the shield from all the obstacles we face along the way, and he is the guide showing our students the Cerritos Way, being ready, respectful and real. There is no doubt in my mind that he is the man for this job and at heart that he is truly a Don, which is why I walk with Walker." I only hope that our voices were heard as while we may continue to raise our voices, the powers at be may have kept their minds set on their decisions. However, until the very end, I am loyal to those who deserve that loyalty and Mr. Walker is one of those people I will always be ready to fight for. Looking back, the decision to hire Mr. Walker all those years ago was absolutely the right decision and if I had to sit in another interview to hire a new principal again, I would not hesitate to hire him once more, as he still is the right choice, as I hope to see him retire as a Don because he truly exemplifies the Cerritos Way.

No comments:
Post a Comment