~:[CH9 - Day 160]:~ Emptiness
I had a good morning. I awoke to great news, amazing messages and was happy. I was headed to school to clean up my room and got to run into a few people and chat. It was nice. However, as I cleaned out my room, I normally have a feeling of satisfaction after a great year. I enjoyed this year, but when cleaning my room, by day's end, I felt emptiness. The cobwebs have built up, dust was also there, and the board had dates from March. As everything was put away, I looked at it and wondered, when will I see this class full again. It's likely that we will be back in the fall, but that will look like half a class with a setup that will have little interaction. Many of the things that make learning great will have to be reworked and even with coaching, almost ALL the activities we will be doing, will have to adapt to the new norm. I worked my tail off trying to get everything together, recording and editing lectures and videos, setting up meetings, planning and more over the course of the last (almost) three months. the biggest issue I faced was that not being around the students was discouraging. That daily interaction is much more valuable that you may realize. I know it took its toll on the students as well. I tossed away so much and prepped for what's ahead. That's really all we can do. We find a way to make things work, adapt and grow. In my profession that will be the case and in may others, it will also ring true. As I walked out the gate, I was reminded that today was the rescheduled drive by grad parade for our LIFE program! I was upset at myself because I didn't have anything prepared, but decided to still jump in and congratulate them. I was glad I did as you could see the joy on their faces, even if it was just a short period of time that people came by for them. it was exactly what I needed and a reminder of how excited I will be when the new school year begins. Even if it's not the same, just having the chance to have that interaction will be a blessing that I will never take for granted. There was emptiness today, but I know it's temporary and soon enough, we'll get to fill that void once again.


No comments:
Post a Comment