
~:[CH11 - Day 80]:~ Anything But Normal
To pull of this trip this year was anything, but normal. This process, however, is made easier when you have a group that is not normal, as they are extraordinary. I am blessed with a group who, despite losing focus from time to time, put in the extra work to prepare and who cared for the work that they put into the process. They battled through the four month preparation process with three that joined in and only had half the time to catch up. They dealt with the fatigue of walking 40 miles, survived the frigid first day and maneuvered through committee. Forty two of the 50 we brought received awards (17 who earned best delegate awards) and those who didn't probably just missed out, as they were also actively engaged in committee. Even more rewarding, however, I think about a student who just barely made the team and ended up winning a best delegate award and another who joined late, speaking up more confidently than I could have imaged. I think of those who struggled during grills and turning around in committee bringing up the very topics I stumped them on with details to back up their points. Their enthusiasm and excitement got them in trouble sometimes as their voices carried too loudly and then the occasional tardiness bug plagued them for two days, but in the end, they helped make this trip run pretty seamlessly as they maneuvered through the subway system, followed directions, and made this trip a memorable one. It's the first time I've had both juniors and seniors and surprised at how well they intertwined. As normal, the group grew together and got to know each other better and ended this trip on a high note. It's always tough to simply survive the week, however, not only did they survive, but they did so without very many bumps in the road. It is nice to be sitting at home finally and will be even better to be back in my own climate-controlled room, however, I will miss being in the city and just a small part of me will miss doing room checks, count offs, or making our way from point A to point B with this large group of students. I doubt I every want to have to go through all the hoops we had to jump through to make this year's trip happen, however, as I sit here and reflect, I guarantee you, I wouldn't trade this experience for the world. Anything, but normal since it was truly extraordinary.

No comments:
Post a Comment