Tuesday, September 6, 2022

~:[CH11 - Day 249]:~ Starting Fresh

 
~:[CH11 - Day 249]:~ Starting Fresh

Every year, it's the same. I get a new fresh batch of students who know little, if anything about MUN. From scratch, we teach many of them and hope that they grow into the program. For those that do, the sky's the limit. It's not a program that is about those interested in politics or even international affairs, but for those looking to grow their confidence, their ability to speak and write, to learn more about the world, to work with others, analyze and to solve problems among many other things. It's simple to say that on paper, it isn't always the most attractive choice, but when you look at the end results of our alumni, you may realize just how far a student can go. While we don't have a victory with every student, when having a discussion with my seniors last year, so many who were on the verge of quitting, stuck it out and said how grateful they were they didn't make that choice. True, it's not for everybody, but it is a class that anyone is capable of doing. I hope as time goes one, more freshman realize this. As while we've had an influx of those coming in to join sophomore year, the freshman year is truly where you build the foundation and learn all you need to know so that they can truly grow during their sophomore year. Years ago, I gave up my plans of going into film to teach in this program and while I sometimes wonder what life would be like in if I had stayed in that field, I don't regret the opportunity I have to start, year after year, with these students ready to show off what they're capable of. Wish us luck.

Share your MUN story.

No comments:

Post a Comment