
~:[CH11 - Day 271]:~ A Farewell
My senior year, I would get to school early, and open up the ASB room. I would get to school around 7am and just do some work or chat. It was something prideful to me and I enjoyed my role in ASB as it was a great opportunity to serve the school and be involved in so many things on campus. About a decade later, I would be sitting in the office close by working my brother as the activities director. While it didn't last too long, I was Blessed to have worked with some of the finest leaders that school has seen, as they spent so much time work on campus. I remember one year having to wrap up practice, then head to the gym as we stayed until about 2 or 3am blowing up balloons for the next day's rally. While I don't venture into the room as much now, I still swing by regularly and say hello when I am dropping off a form or a deposit. Chatting with Mrs. Mac today, I recalled how, on one rainy day, I had my umbrella as a I rushed around the corner to see her and I heard a scream as I almost pierced her with my umbrella. Since they, we've laughed about that moment, but it's moments like these that have come back to my mind as we move on. The room will remain, but it will never be the same as it was before. It's the story of life. The ongoing construction reminds us that while there are things we hope will never change, at some point, almost everything in our lives will change. Often times, these moments are inconvenient, but in the long run, we hope these changes will help us improve the days ahead. Later this school year, I'll be taking down the walls that are my last connection to the first day I stepped into my current classroom. Everything I collected over the years in the room will come down and while some will return, it won't ever be the same. As I go, however, the many memories will flash back, just like they did when I saw this room in one of its last few days. At some point, these changes will become what we are used to and we may even forget what everything used to look like, however, with each and every farewell and transition we face, we get an opportunity to say our farewells so we can treasure those many memories locked away in things we find so familiar. Today I said my farewell to the room in its current state as I recall so many Blessed memories and look forward to the many memory that will be made.

No comments:
Post a Comment