
~:[CH12 - Day 336]:~ Everything Will Be OK
It was an early wake up call as we headed to school with about 160 of our students to Mira Costa. With both a novice and advance conference, many of our students choose to sign up for this conference. I always warn my freshman that getting an award here will be tougher than at their last conference. We always have a certain number of awards at our first conference, then a drastic drop off at Mira Costa. Regardless, I encourage them to focus on their own progress and let the award be an additional benefit. I pinpointed that part of the issue is just the timing of the conference with fall break falling right before the conference. While others may have issues as well, I think we benefit when we have a bit more time to prep. Regardless, I was proud of how they performed whether they won an award or not. A few were great surprises, while others did improve even if they didn't receive an award at all. It's easy to get caught up in the hoopla of the award ceremony, however while still highlighting those who earned one, I also love to keep praise for those who worked hard and improved. I always remind them that even if they struggled a bit today, that everything will be okay if they keep working hard, keep learning and keep focusing on progressing as they make another step forward.

No comments:
Post a Comment