Thursday, November 7, 2024

~:[CH13 - Day 311]:~ Truly Wicked

 
~:[CH13 - Day 311]:~ Truly Wicked

I'm not allowed to post any spoilers, nor would I. However, I have been apart of the Wicked franchise since its original cast on Broadway. Randomly, a ticket agent asked if we wanted to try this new show and from then on, I've enjoyed it every year on Broadway since and have seen it over thirty times, both in LA and Broadway. The movie is like an excellent extended cut of the movie adding qualities that cannot be captured on stage without losing its connection with the iconic musical. A few scenes were incredibly memorable including the defying gravity scene, but surprisingly, the scene from the movie that touched me the most was in the Ozdust Ballroom. To avoid talking about the movie itself, the reason I have loved this musical aside from its amazing theatrical qualities is its underlying message. I am lucky to grow up in an area where people treat each other fairly well. It's not perfect, obviously, but I am lucky to avoid the discrimination, hatred and oppression that many face. Wicked portrays this same divide within society, as the "society" casts its judgement, leaving a few being the outcasts. The story battled the story of who is good and who is evil and how the facade of "goodness" has convinced many that the "great and wonderful" Oz is the hope for the people, whereas, he is the one plotting behind the scenes, oppressing many and manipulating the views of many in the process. I hope in life we can avoid being fooled by facades and see the true qualities within people. It's not always easy, however, their actions (vs their words) will truly show you if they are good or simply, truly wicked. As the press screening wrapped up, the excitement and cheers for a film well done were evident and there's no doubt that this movie will be a generational hit for all to enjoy. I just hope that after watching this film, people can learn to be more understanding and welcoming, in a push to destroy discrimination, hatred, and oppression, as we all deserved to be love, we all deserve an opportunity to live as ourselves, and we all deserve a place we all can call home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment