Thursday, November 14, 2024

~:[CH13 - Day 318]:~ Open Market

 
~:[CH13 - Day 318]:~ Open Market

The past few days, I've been watching the market closely. With crypto activating, I've been selling and buying over the past few days pretty regularly trying to catch the swings. Strangely, in my Econ class, we are discussing supply and demand and it's so easy to connect the stock and crypto market to these concepts. I think I've seen a lot more interest among students in trading, which is pretty cool, but it also means, I need to be careful on what I talk about to avoid them trying to invest without knowing what they are doing. Both of these paralleled my freshman class as the wrapped up their Renaissance drawings and joined in the Renaissance marketplace. Each student starts with at least five dollars. They get more if they are trying hard or their piece is exceptional. We then go outside and buy and sell these art pieces including the option of NFTs (selfies with the drawing). I search for who has the most physical paintings (they got the best deals), those who have the most money (best business people), and those who sold their piece for the most (most likely, best artist). It's fun to watch them interact and use their MUN skills, while also practicing wheeling and dealing, which is good for haggling. As our seniors worked out problems with supply and demand, my freshman were acting it out and I was actually investing real money in the marketplace. It's even more evident why financial literacy is important for the youth. As they work out these financial negotiations or they figure out how to budget, how to cut wasteful spending, and discovering what they actual need, next to what they want, they learn in the process how to smartly proceed with their money. While they may want to wastefully follow the trends in the market, often times, the lessons they learn about their finances, will help them determine the right choices in any given economic situation. Today was a fun day in the open market and I only hope that these lessons are one that they will learn from. 

No comments:

Post a Comment