Tuesday, February 4, 2025

~:[CH14 - Day 35]:~ Power vs Humanity

 
~:[CH14 - Day 35]:~ Power vs Humanity

I look up to the sky and wonder why. As I think of the Black Eyed Peas song, I wonder if we truly see the problems we are facing. "if you only have love for your own race, then you only leave space to discriminate, and to discriminate only generates hate ..." I wondering what the days ahead hold. As I closed out the night to a classroom of students who stayed late into the night preparing for our conference in one month, I was once again proud at where they've come. They see the world, they see it's problems, and no matter their beliefs, I truly feel that they have the best interests of others on their mind. The question is, when it comes to having power versus showing humanity, which path will we all choose? Will we celebrate our victory when it means that we stomp on those who are less powerful than us? Will we gloat when we get what we were aiming to accomplish? Will our vision become like a tunnel, seeing and hearing only what we want to see and hear? There's been so much to uncover over the past month and I truly wonder what is going on in this world. There are those who are power-hungry, those who are powerless, those who are afraid, and those who remain inactive, hoping for the storm to pass on by. However, there comes a point when you realize that unless action is taken, a storm will not pass. As much as we want "our way," I hope that the people in this country and the world find themselves searching what is best for humanity. The past month has made me feel as I am watching a man at a table moving around three cups asking me which cup has the ball. Watching magicians, you know that there is an element of distraction and a sleight of hand. What am I looking at? Where should my focus be? Inside, my soul is raging with anger and frustration, as I wonder what I can do, as slowly, the rights and respect of many is slowly disappearing. Those who are gaining power or getting what they want care very little about it, while those who are subjected to this cruelty are suffering. Appeasement has been one of the things that provided to the most fuel to one of the darkest moments in history and I only fear that we are seeing the same unfold before our eyes. Are we going to sit back and watch or are we going to step up to show some humanity. As I teach about Gandhi and character, I wonder, when the challenge of life become to great, can we still be the person we envisioned ourself to be or will we find the path of less resistance even if that means stepping on the backs of the powerless. We will all have a lot of soul-searching to do and the question is, will we stand up when we see the things we hold sacred and the things we believe in, being destroyed before our eyes. I hope we can all find the courage on the road ahead to put aside our comfort, to put aside our ambitions, and truly demonstration compassion, love, and empathy. We may not agree with the lifestyles of others, we may not have the same political or religious beliefs, but I hope we can agree that there is a line that cannot be crossed to maintain respect, civility, and order. Too many people have bowed down in fear of the repercussions of what may happen to them and others are unable to speak up, because they feel powerless, but the only way we can protect what is precious to us, is if we have the courage to stand up and protect it. When watching a TV show, my blood boils when I see a bully who gets their way or those with power rising above the rule of law, and thus, my heart, mind, and soul are uneasy. However, we're arriving at a point of no return and I feel that it's time we need to begin to look at what we need to do before it's too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment