
~:[CH14 - Day 47]:~ Nasubi なすび
It's simple, but delicious. As I think about a Japanese eggplant, I am reminded of my family. Growing up, foods were definitely the first words I learned. Going to a Japanese restaurant now, I can name most of the foods without any help and nasubi is one. As I met with my Japanese tutor in the morning, it was only fitting that I ended up with a Japanese dish for dinner, especially one that is classic for my family. I love how food can make you think back to various memories of the past and how in the future, it will remind you of the precious times you had. It will bring a warmth to your heart and a comfort that will remain even when your loved ones are no longer here. It's a sad thought to process, but also one that is a reality. We all have a limited span in this world, so let's appreciate the small things in life, even if it seems like it's just a side dish as those are the things that may become the most valuable of the cuisines on the table. As I ate my dinner this evening, I smiled just a bit thinking about the past and also making me miss Japan just a bit less. It's been nice to have a few days with a light schedule which allowed me to enjoy the beauty of all the things we sometimes take for granted.

No comments:
Post a Comment