Saturday, March 10, 2018

~:[CH7 - Day 69]:~ Honors Aside

~:[CH7 - Day 69]:~ Honors Aside
It was a little disappointing to hear the story of how one of your delegates was forced to sit down during formal caucus and having that same country use the introduction our delegate used in committee while giving their speech in the General Assembly Hall. It shows the side of Model UN that I have grown to despise. The underhandedness and backstabbing that sometimes goes on in committees is not what I hope for a Model UN conference to include, but it something that has become a reality in the world of Model UN. However, that is exactly what makes me more proud of my own delegates. I am proud to hear them speak, using the 8,000 documents our group collected and demonstrating the information gained through the late nights and all that the other time they used after sacrificing something else they could have been doing. This group started on the road of struggling with the preparation process, but grew together, learned together and unified together. As while I am proud to take home multiple delegation awards, the true honor is in all the learning that they gained. Learning how to get over all the underhandedness they encounter by trying to stay true to what they should be focused on, as I hope that they never feel like they need to sink to that level. I knew very little about this program when I entered my freshman year in high school, but when I left, I realized its importance when my advisor gave every last ounce of his energy to this program before passing away. I saw how it helped me grow and helped me understand what it meant to my life. He showed me the foundation you need to become a good delegate, but showed me even more about being a great person. Today, as I stood in the General Assembly Hall, I was proud of my students as while there was disappoint and discouragement in some aspects in their hearts, none of that entered my own heart. Each year, I am proud when I hear them speak with a content-loaded speech or how they speak confidently using nothing but the information that fills their brain, injected there by hours and hours of hard work and preparation. The award will sit and collect dust and over time, people will forget that the award was even won; however, the knowledge and experiences gained are things that will add to the foundation that will support them for the rest of their lives.

1 comment: