I remember when I was younger, I ran in a track event. I had to compete against my brother and cousin since nobody was in my age group. I got dusted. I teared up as I finished far behind them albeit the only finisher in my group. I remember crying more when they didn't give me a medals since they combined divisions. My family gave me a trophy after the race, but I wonder the value of that trophy. I appreciate that my family gave me an award that I probably should have received since technically I finished first in my division (as the only competitor), but at the same time, I wonder what the value of that trophy is. In some divisions for our time trial, every athlete that may finish might get an award, but does that make it less in value than the races that were hotly contested? Every person has their own view of the value of it. Some are overjoyed, some may not receive any satisfaction from it, but ultimately, I see that these medals all hold value. Although my trophy was not given by the official organization, there was comfort in receiving it knowing that my family was thinking about me, pouring in love when I felt shortchanged. For my athletes, I hope that they appreciate any medal they receive. The value of it is not only the place or the time, but also the story that comes along with it. Much like my trophy has a story, each one of the medals these athletes receive has a story as well and because of it, it holds even greater value. Beyond just awards, there are so many things that we may possess that have this type of value and I hope that no matter how cheap or expensive the item is, we see the value of it which may not be visible to the naked eye. As we wrapped up the time trial and later headed to Central Park, I found value in all of these wonderful experiences today, knowing that they are worth much more than they seem and only time will allow its value to be revealed.
Thursday, July 21, 2022
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment