~:[CH8 - Day 176]:~ Lost in (Digital) Translation
It's tough enough to try to get the interpretation of what someone is trying to say in person in the same language sometimes. It becomes more challenging when the conversation is in a foreign language. From my friends to the workers and guides, the translation and meaning behind them is not always clear. What seems perfectly normal to one, may be an insult to another. As I traveled, I saw this to be the case. However, it can be like that even more so online. Seeing the comment section on an online post sometimes can be frustrating, aside from the ignorant comments, sometimes the sarcasm in a message cannot be seen. It's lost in its digital translation. Sometime the sincerity and genuine care of a message cannot be seen or the emotions of a message can be under or over analyzed. Isn't it strange how online of a society we've become, yet we still have yet to figure out how to convey messages as we want to all the time? Maybe there should be an emotion button on all the posts we make. This post was meant to be sincere, sarcastic, with anger, with joy. I guess Facebook does it a bit, but can this be done across all apps? Does it need to be? Or wouldn't us taking the time to meet up, hanging out and just catch up like the old days be the way to go. As I travel from place to place, while I try to keep up with people online, I also enjoy trying to meet up with them just to chat, to catch up, to share old memories and the like. Even if it's for a random interaction like I had with a family from our school at the DMZ or an arranged meeting with a friend over dinner, we lose less of the proper interpretation of a message when we take it offline. The internet is an amazing place with information and the ability to connect us all, but we are most connected when we sit across from each other, even sometimes when we don't even speak a word. The internet comes a long way, but in many cases it is lacking. Don't get lost in the (digital) translation, rather, get lost in the awesome company of people.


No comments:
Post a Comment