Thursday, August 15, 2024

~:[CH13 - Day 228]:~ (Un)reliable Memories

 

~:[CH13 - Day 228]:~ (Un)reliable Memories

As I watched Serendipity's Embrace, a quote came up about how memories are unreliable. It hit a chord within me as I thought constantly about various memories within my own life and how it may differ from the views of another. A concert that may hold sentimental value, may be a moment of pain for someone else in the crowd or even the performer, a certain location may bring fond memories while for others it would bring trauma, even two people experiencing the same moment together, may hold different value and importance to a given moment. Are our memories unreliable? For ourselves, I think we know what memories hold, but in relation to others, those memories become unreliable when we don't communicate and truly understand how the other feels. When we see only our view, we may discount the impact that moment or place has on someone else. Sometimes in these moments, it leads to division and distancing, when in fact, it could have become a moment of understanding. Memories can become reliable, when instead of making assumption, we communicate. We express ourselves, we listen, we understand and we respect each other. As I mixed up the blue fin tuna a friend bought for me that I made into poke, it brought back memories of many beautiful days in Hawaii. For many, they will also find these memories opportunities to reminisce, but more importantly, this meal will be a start of a conversation to truly discover just how reliable my memories are. 

No comments:

Post a Comment