~:[CH13 - Day 151]:~ The Things We Gained Along the Way
Mr. Walker gave his final speech with a fantastic display, creating a bookshelf of memories from the class of 2024. His speech entitled things we lost along the way focused on the many things that the class of 2024 will leave behind, as they have found great success during their four years. However, while they leave behind a lot, I thought, what are the things they will take away? Resilience. They started their careers with a challenge; the challenge of online learning. It must have been hard to kickstart their high school career behind the screen, but they did. It took a bit of adjusting when they were finally allowed back, but through the process, they gained resilience. Culture. Many who attend Cerritos, never quite see it this way until they leave, but they become cultured. From the various events we host on campus to simply being at a school and area with a huge representation of different cultures, I love how cultured our students become, appreciating other's cultures and sharing their own. Appreciation. I think this class realized many of the things that they lost along the way, which led to them gaining appreciation for every moment. To lose so much time, I think they appreciated the opportunities given to them, the love they received from those around them, and they simply appreciated normalcy. In a world dominated by social media, I think that while they're still engulfed in it, the also appreciate what may be thought of as commonplace. Identity. I think one of the cool things I noticed within my senior MUN class is that they are so different, yet it doesn't even matter. From athletes to dancers, to academics to gamers, the palette of interests had quite a large range. I appreciated that in all those fields, many of my students excelled. At tonight's graduation, my students were among the valedictorians, the CIF finalist and champions, the musicians and singers, and of course, all the speakers. Most of all, they learned about Healing. From the recovery of the pandemic to the more recent passing of their classmate, this class had to deal an emotional rollercoaster. I still remember the class after they learned he had passed away. It was dead silent and it could easily have been a moment that destroy them. Instead, they relied on each other and healed. They gained understanding, appreciation, compassion, and love, as their wounds slowly healed. They gained a scar they may never lose, but that very scar is what will help them remember the many important things they gained along the way. There will be pain when they are reminded of some of the most challenging moments, but in the process, I know they'll also be reminded of the many triumphs. They gained so much along the way even as they felt loss and it is in this that they've also become stronger and ready for the future. Each of them has their own bookshelves of memories of things they've gained along the way and I only hope that everything they've gained will be a guiding light for them as they head off on the road ahead. I am confident that each of you will find your own way, using everything you gained along the way. Congratulations to the class of 2024. #SoriStrong

No comments:
Post a Comment