Thursday, December 13, 2018

~:[CH7 - Day 347]:~ Saving a Sinking Ship

~:[CH7 - Day 347]:~ Saving a Sinking Ship
A few years ago, I almost stopped coaching. I looked towards the athletes to give more than just being apart of the program, rather to be the program. This group, as sophomores, made the push that kept me engaged and I became better because of it. I got a new crop of athletes that helped grow the program and the dedication level of the athletes grew with it. Talented or not, all I ask for is that athletes put their best foot forward and spend the time to improve. I ask that they give back to the program, rather than just reaping the benefits of it and I have been glad to see that happening as of late. In life, you'll come across situations where you're sitting on a sinking ship and you have to decide whether you try to fix it or if you abandon it altogether  This group was able to save that sinking ship. On banquet days (and weeks), I think I work harder than during any time in a given year. I am always so exhausted and beat up afterwards and just want to hibernate for a year or two. However, when all is said and done, I look back at the pictures and videos and think, this was all worth it. To see the athletes reminisce about their season and to appreciate all that they were able to share together makes it worth it, despite the number of hours I have to give up to do so. Of course, this year, that work became even more worth it, as this was the class that decide, "we should save this sinking ship." Whether I would have left at the end of that year, we will never  know, but what I do know is that in part, this group contributed to the continuation of something I hold so dear and tonight reemphasized that to me, as every banquet in the past has done. Tomorrow, I may be dying of exhaustion, but I'll still be smiling, as I know that there will be another day and I'll get to share it with my ohana.  For that, I am forever grateful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment