Saturday, April 2, 2016

~:[CH5 - Day 93]: ~ No Joke

~:[CH5 - Day 93]: ~ No Joke
I got a text from an alumni and I truly thought it was an April Fools Joke, but when I checked the clock, it was still the 31st. "Are you free this Friday-Saturday ... Wanna do Ragnar ;D" it read. I just laughed to myself and then when I realized it wasn't a joke, I sadly had to decline. I didn't register this year because Trabuco fell on the same day of the start of the race and I definitely wasn't going to miss that. However, it just so happened that I was able to secure a ride to meet them in time to join them before the start of the second leg. They covered the first leg and as I got home from Trabuco, I put my things together and headed down to meet them. In my haste, I left my keys, my wallet, my running belt and my money in the garage, but I had just enough to get me through. I arrived thanks to the amazing assistant of Drew and met the team at Mira Costa College at 1am. Yes, I went directly after getting home at about 11:30pm. While I knew what I was getting myself into, I couldn't believe I was actually doing it. At about 2:30am, I took the hand off for my first leg - 5.3 miles. Sounded easy enough as I jumped out of the van and started my leg. I paced myself and realized that this was going to be a challenge. With no training, no preparation, and no, pretty much everything, I ventured out. Only then did I realize, I did not know where I was going, as I normally study the routes. The run I thought would be easy, turned into a hill mess with two medium hills and they added a nice big hill top it all off at the end. I cramped up but kept pushing through and ultimately, arrived at my destination, sprinting in just to make myself feel better (and look better too). I actually felt pretty good after, aside from a sore IT band and some fatigue. With a van full of former XCers, it was great to catch up and see how things were going. I was glad to see them still running and reminded me that my work goes far beyond just the days at CHS. We were able to get some rest at an apartment in San Diego before our next leg and it definitely helped. It wasn't long, but long enough. We headed out to Glider Port near UCSD and enjoyed the view as we met up with the rest of the team and a few more alumni! Our soreness and fatigue was evident, but so was the spirit. With van 1 ecstatic that they were done, we ventured on our way to our second leg. It was getting hot. I got the baton for my final leg which was just over six miles. The leg started with fear of an overhead bombing attack from hundreds of seagulls, followed by a strong headwind as we headed towards the beach. The heat became evident when we U-turned and headed through the city as we avoided pedestrians and did our best to follow the correct route. This is where I saw the "Where's Waldo" runner after he got lost (ironic, right?). I found a small group to run with for awhile, but that changed as we turned and saw the big hill that destroyed us all. As I ran up, I thought, I missed Disneyland for this? I continued to push and battle my demons and ultimately, found myself at the top, as I floated my way towards the finish. I saw the mile to go sign and was filled with joy as I began picking up kills (people you pass during the run) towards the finish line. I sprinted in and was overjoyed - I was done. I still felt good and was bouncing around, although still sore as we became more excited with each leg finishing. A Pepsi and a Popsicle helped as well. We arrived at Coronado and after finally getting parking, our team ran together through the finish. We were done. While I dreaded what Sunday would feel like, as we sat down to eat Crack Shack, I was pretty happy to think how I got the Ragnar experience again, at the very last minute. It was super spontaneous, but sometimes, that is exactly what we need in our lives to find experiences much like these and to create memories we will never forget. I was overjoyed to meet new people and make new friends, something that Ragnar is so good at doing (special thanks to team 154 - Ragnar & Chill). At some point, I was glad that the text wasn't a joke, because I would be a fool not to take the chance at doing something so amazing. I am a four-time Ragnarian, but know that this year will not be my last. Until we meet again Ragnar, good night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment