~:[CH5 - Day 127]: ~ Breaking Through
All day it looks as if the storm would be an issue. The clouds loomed overhead, but it did not pour on us. As the day finally passed and it was time to head to Artesia, the clouds still lingered overhead, with misting occurring from time to time. The meet started off a little crazy between the weather, a parking lot full of casino-goers and a driver who gave us issues with something that was normal. We survived it and the day went on. The weather held on as the field events quickly made their way through. The day started with its highs and lows as a few of my athletes didn't do as well as I hoped. One of my athletes though, after suffering an ankle sprain two weeks ago, not only made it to finals, but ended up winning the whole event, PRing and tieing a record in the process. With his mother there to watch, it was definitely a touching moment. Numerous other great performance showed up throughout the day, as we did fairly well, collecting medals in the process. The rain began pouring down as we knew a wave would be coming through. It delayed a few things as we tried to take care of the equipment, but things got back on track. The day had it's frustrating moments, as it's difficult when people just don't listen to directions. It's not okay to claim ignorance, but I do have some tolerance for people who actually don't know; however, when you blatantly do what you're not suppose to repeatedly without any regard for others, it's a challenge to handle. Regardless, I let the day be highlighted by the athletes and it ended that way as we celebrated as we should have; with our faces stuffed with food. When looking back on how my distances kids did, I didn't realize just how good of a day it was even though I knew they did well. We had fourteen athletes make it to finals with ten setting new PRs in 15 events, two setting new season PRs and one of those who didn't, won two varsity league championships and was crowned the league MVP. I would say, that was a pretty great day, despite the storms that were thrown at us. Our team should be proud, as I ended the evening so proud of what they accomplished and all that they endured and overcame tonight and throughout this season. Thanks for a great season!


No comments:
Post a Comment