~:[CH5 - Day 146]: ~ In Recognition
This day always tends to be one of my favorite days of the year, Premios de Oro. For one, it reminds me of my chemistry teacher Susan Megna who was one of my inspirations to teach and who gave me my only medallion in my high school career. While it may just be a ceremony, to me, it has grown into so much more, as it helps me to pass on the torch that I was given so many years ago. This year was one of my toughest years, as I had students who didn't even receive a certificate to that I wanted to give the medallion to. It's tough to narrow it down to a handful and ultimately down to one. I've enjoyed working with my class this year and wish I had unlimited medallions to give, however, this one student in particular stood out in his effort, in his love for history, and his growth throughout the year. I know he still has a ways to go, but I know he will get there, much like the other students in my class. Every year, I like to stay as long as I can, just to see everyone off, as it is a day that I can remember and reflect on all those who brought me back to this wonderful place to make me one of the richest men alive. Who else can say they have been blessed with being around some of the greatest minds that will impact the world in just a matter of time. As I saw student after student from my classes or programs walk to the stage, I stood so proudly like the parents around me, as I have been able to see these students grow throughout this year or over the course of the past four years. Just when I thought the night couldn't get any better, one of my students handed me a flash drive with a video he made for me. It was touching, inspiring and reminded me why I never left this career. As while the glitz and glamour of Hollywood once called me, the only moment of fame I need, is to see the students grow over time and show that they are truly golden. As while it may not be in the spotlight, I'll stand proud in the shadows knowing that I've been lucky enough to work with each and everyone of these students.


No comments:
Post a Comment