~:[CH8 - Day 27]:~ Getting Recognized
I guess in life a little recognition means a lot. At conferences, it's always tough to see delegates who worked so hard, but didn't get the recognition they deserve. Of course, when I say that, I wonder what that truly means. At the conference, we did pretty well as we had eight awards out of the 13 people we had when they were giving out 4-6 awards per committee and four of those awards were gavels. As I think back to all the conferences I attended and also advised, I think about people who justify why they deserved an award or a higher award. Sometimes I do agree with them, but when I think about the term 'recognition they deserve," I think about how I cannot be doing thing to try to earn any type of recognition. While nice, if that is my focus, then I am not doing these things for the right reasons. I hope that the message can also be passed on to my students as they move from conference to conference. The learning experiences they gain, the people they meet, and the memories they create are far more valuable that award that will collect dust. We ventured out to Capilano Bridge to catch the tail end of the Canyon Lights and enjoyed an evening together that culminated with dinner in Gastown. With the many hours of committee finally over, they finally get some time to see the sights of Vancouver. Award or not, I hope that these students know that we recognize their hard work and excellence on a daily basis.


No comments:
Post a Comment