~:[CH8 - Day 5]:~ Its (Our) Tune
While I knew of the composer Minoru Mukaiya, I never paid as much attention to the chimes at each station until this trip. As I made treks from Shinjuku to Yokohama and Kawasaki, over to Toyosu and Odaiba, and all the way from Narita, I enjoyed the melodies played at each station. Mukaiya said that he tried to match the feel of the station with the melody played when a train arrived. It provides each station with its own uniqueness and reminded me a lot of how we have our own tunes. We each have something about us that is unique from others and we all live our lives a certain way, our own theme song. As I took my trek up and back today, I noticed them all and soaked them all in, thinking about how this related to people. My theme song would be ... well, who knows? Yesterday I was on the bright streets and today, I was in the dark alleys of Kowloon, well at least a place designed to look like the old walled city of Kowloon. After working on my shoot, which ended up being quite amazing, I made my way down to Kawasaki where they turned an entire building into something so amazing and also compelling. At times, I had no clue what I was doing on some of the games. On my last, I was so lost that I left without having spent all the tokens I had, not knowing what I was doing or what the purpose of the game was. I vaguely understand the game now, but if someone where to ask me what it was about, I would respond, "beats me." It also showed me why the gaming culture is still alive and well in Japan, as so many people frequented the arcade which was amazingly designed even if it looked run down, it perfectly matched their goals and liked how despite its touristy nature, it was a pretty decent sized local crowd. I jetted out of there making sure I could make the last trains back to Shinjuku, but as I headed back, I enjoyed the tunes one again thinking about how my tune would sound ... adventurous, traditional, upbeat, mellow? I think I better start composing my seven second theme in my mind. We all have the opportunity to make our melody of our lives sound the way we want. While life is unpredictable, we can help direct the way things go and hope it stays on track. Let's get ready to compose the melody of our lives.


No comments:
Post a Comment